Saturday, December 10, 2011

Chocolate Truffles (a.k.a. Reindeer Turds)

Where did Reindeer Turds come from?  Kris saw me working on them and promptly called them Reirdeer Turds.  I finally made my first Christmas treat of the season!  I feel so far behind on shopping, decorating, baking and all the fun Christmas activities but with my new found energy I am moving forward to catch up.  I love baking at Christmas and excited to try some new healthier recipes.  This new one was so easy that I was able to complete it while I had dinner in the oven.  I cannot take credit for the recipe but I am not sure where it came from; I saw it on T.V. during my illness stuper and wrote down the primary ingredients with no quanties.  It peaked my interest because it uses no added sugar just the sugar from the dates; (YUM) which have a high sugar content but also have over 15 minerals including potassium, magnesium, selenium and calcium plus fiber and antioxidants.  It was a perfect recipe for me to try since I have dates handy for those times when I want something sweet; they are nature's candy. 
Even though the truffles are made with a natural sweetner; they are a snack. One truffle is about 50 calories and these little jewels are truely decadent snack for the holidays.

Chocolate Truffles
2 Cups Dates
1/2 Cup Walnuts (optional)
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Dark 72% Cocoa Powder
Dried unsweetened Shredded Coconut

Add all ingredients except coconut to food processor and blend until a ball is formed. Remove from processor and refrigerate long enough to cool to make it easier to roll into balls. I refrigerated for about 15 minutes.  Next roll into balls then roll in the shredded coconut.

Makes about 2 dozen.

References

No comments:

Post a Comment