Friday, November 11, 2011

Food to Nurse my Husband Healthy

This week I spent most of my free time cooking or baking something.  Cooking relaxes me; it is my creative outlet as I use most recipes as the foundation; then change as I feel.  Now that we have "fallen back"; I am embracing fall to experiment with different vegetables and spices that I do not normally use in the warmer months.  The cooler temperatures beg for warm roasted comfort food... root veggies, squashes, legumes, pears, apples with warming spices like cumin, cinnamon, curry, nutmeg, chili powder...

My husband came home from work with a 104 temperature last Friday; this started my thinking of needing to feed him to nurse him healthy. Kris loves pears & we had a bowl full of them, he needed a pancake for breakfast. I have a “big pancake” recipe that uses apples; I used pears. Changed the recipe to use less sugar and a gluten free flour.  A HIT!
Big Pear Pancake
Before I went to bed the previous night, I filled a pot of beans with water to soak in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning I cooked the beans while I cut onions, carrots, sweet potato, parsnips, jalapeño, green pepper, etc. if it was in my refrigerator or bowl of vegetables I cut it up to use in the soup. (I did all this with no cuts to my fingers or hands, plus I had the New York Marathon showing in the background.) The soup was a winner; the only regret is not making more. While doing the soup, I realized about ½ dozen of avocados needed to be used. (I buy them in bulk, because use them daily on everything.) My favorite condiment is guacamole; this ended up being a perfect pair with the soup; nice creamy texture to add to the soup. Added a little cheese & chopped onion for looks...a great meal.
Veggie Soup
To come more soup, pesto, nuts, granola, pumkins, butternut squash...

No comments:

Post a Comment